Custom comics and illustrations can help you connect with your audience in a quick glimpse, and/or through humor, making your message extremely memorable. They create talking points that increase user engagement through social media and are images that have the potential to go viral. Though there are some details to hash through, creating custom comics and illustrations is an extremely fun project that can show great returns for clients.
Please note the following:
- Most projects are done hourly with ballpark estimates, which allows you to request changes if/when you need to. Please note that most commissioned comics generally start at $150+.
- Once you pay for the comic or illustration, you can use it on the web and social media, as long as you link to and credit Unearthed Comics or Sara Zimmerman (depending on nature of illustration/comic).
- I do not do work-for-hire.
- Uses beyond the web (print, etc.) are offered with different licensing options to suit your individual needs.
- If you wish to license the image for merchandising, printing, use in non-web based media, presentations, etc., there are other annual licensing options available. I just need an idea of how it will be used, how many pieces per year (estimated), etc. This licensing fee varies significantly, depending on your intended use.
I tend to use rates from the Graphic Artists Guild Handbook: Pricing and Ethical Guidelines, so my rates are very competitive for design and illustration. I can provide you a ballpark estimate once I review your scope of work. If you need help forming the idea of your comic or illustration more, contact me and we can work that into the equation.
Thanks in advance for your inquiry and I look forward to talking with you more about your project.
Samples + Testimonials:
TRPA sought illustration and comic strip expertise to develop user friendly images to help explain complex transportation demand management strategies. Working with Sara was a very positive experience. She is responsive, creative, and flexible. She helped guide us to create an effective and funny end product. Without her guidance and enthusiasm, this project may not have been as successful. We highly recommend Sara’s services as an innovative and cost effective way to illustrate complex and high stake issues.
~ Morgan Beryl, Senior Transportation Planner, Tahoe Regional Planning Agency
Sometime it takes a creative brain like our favorite cartoonist, Sara Zimmerman of Unearthed Comics, to boil complex ideas down to the essence. We think she nailed it in her comics for us. It is so fun working with Sara. ~ Barbara Kennedy, Conservation Volunteers International Program