Illusions of Adulting
Illusions of Adulting is an ongoing comic narrative about Hailey: A 20-something female who is trying so hard to live the California “dream” while colliding with the harsh reality of adult life. Also, there is chocolate and surfing.
New episodes every Monday and Thursday on LINE Webtoon.
Illusions of Adulting is a slice-of-life, exclusive comic series on LINE Webtoon by Unearthed Comics’ artist, Sara Zimmerman, that features multi-panel comics showing the life of Hailey: a Caucasian female in her early twenties who lives in a seas-side town in California with her fiancé, Steve. The series will depict the trials and tribulations of one woman’s ideas and illusions in contrast with her reality as she experiences the important milestones of adult life.
The main conflict is that Hailey is an over-achiever and falsely believes that if she plans and controls everything, then it will all be perfect. Unconsciously, Hailey is driven to always look for something better, something to “save” her from her current woes, something that will improve her life. In doing so, she gives her proverbial power away, as seen in the opening comic with her wanting to plan the perfect wedding.
Through this series, she works towards acknowledging this issue logically, but doesn’t fully embrace it, which leads her to repeat conflicts when the fantasies she has created are met with reality, in the comic’s ongoing formula of thought versus reality. In addition, other conflicts that will appear in this series are:
- Hailey trying to live a life based on delusion as taught through movies and media.
- Hailey’s desire to still act like a kid, though she has adult responsibilities.
- Hailey prepares for what she thinks people are thinking versus reality, and it gets her in trouble.
- Hailey spends time worrying about what she doesn’t want versus taking the time to make things that she does want happen.
- Subtle references to how other people approach similar issues and how those are often more extreme than Hailey’s, and how Hailey feels guilty about having any problems at all.
- Hailey tries to people-please, but it often backfires or creates resentment.
The series starts with Hailey desperately wanting to get married to Steve, thinking that in doing so, they will live happily ever after, just like the movies say they will.